Saturday, February 2, 2013

Modern Goblins: Deck Tech and Videos

I've been hoping to do some videos for a while now, but I'm pretty MODO-poor and definitely can't afford Merfolk. So when I saw a mono-Mountain Goblins list 4-0 a daily, I figured I'd give it a shot, considering the whole deck costs about 35 dollars. It's going pretty well so far, and I like the fact that newer players who are interested in playing online can see this and just go pick up the deck pretty easily and try it out.

I recorded a deck tech and three two-mans in the best quality my computer could manage. You'll see some pretty bad plays and I say some pretty nonsensical stuff, but I hope you'll bear with me as I get used to doing these. I'm 10/11 overall with the deck since I started playing it, and with some better plays and some tuning I'm sure I can easily hit a 50+ percent winrate. The deck is a lot of fun and can have some crazy nut-draws. It doesn't topdeck well, and it's very all-in, but some of my favorite decks are the ones where you get to take big risks and they often pay off. Fun shit!


Here's the list, followed by the videos:

All-in Modern Goblins

Creatures (31):
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Goblin Chieftain
3 Goblin Corhort
4 Goblin Guide
4 Goblin Wardriver
4 Magus of the Moon
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Tattermunge Maniac

Instants (6):
2 Brimstone Volley
4 Lightning Bolt

Sorceries (4):
4 Goblin Grande

Lands (19):
Just mountains, baby

Deck Tech



Goblins Mirror


Our draws were pretty awful here. Obviously I didn't play perfectly, but I'm not positive it was winnable. I missed the turn 0 bolt on his Goblin Guide, missed a couple attack phases, and suicided some lords, but he also curved out much better and beat my face in before I had a chance to do much.

BUG


This match was pretty silly. We had very early Magus of the Moon both games and he couldn't really do anything. Nothing to see here, folks. Moving on.

UW Control

(You might not want to watch this one, it's pretty miserable)


Timely Reinforcements  maindeck was absolutely back-breaking, and my hand in game one was pretty bad. One of the big drawbacks of playing a deck like this is that mulligans are absolutely horrible for you. Going to 5 is basically an auto-lose, so you hope for a good 7 and almost always keep the 6. I haven't been valuing my Chieftains and Wardrivers nearly enough, and I also probably need Mogg War Marshals. Other than that, I'm happy with the deck and I'm excited to get more games in! Give it a shot, and leave any feedback you have here or on Twitter.

Kevin
@abrapw

No comments:

Post a Comment